Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Next Step

Yesterday I turned in my finalized resume and applied for a (nearly) real job. Ok, so it's not exactly a job, but it's a program that would get me a job, which is still pretty exciting. To explain myself, I applied to a program that, if I'm accepted, will seek out applications and open positions at private schools around the nation. So, if I get this one right it cuts out a ton of work on my part, which I am always ready for.

It's a pretty exciting and humbling experience writing a resume. Basically I've learned that all of the "relevant" things I have done in my life can be listed and explained within a single typed page. Now, it's exciting because I can look at something substantial and say, "I've done all of these things, and they are important and valuable to my life and career." It's humbling because, well, "all of these things" ends up being really about five things. Then you begin to wonder how impressive these five things really are, and now I'm beginning to understand why people love college so much. You don't need to lay yourself on the line for your next move. You just say, "hey that class looks interesting. I think I'll take Microeconomics; I'm not an econ. major but who cares." And then when you find out Microeconomics is actually a terrible class you simply say, "Nevermind, I think I'll drop that and it's on to Yoga: Theory and Practice (yes, it's a real class)." Now there's a real chance I won't get selected for what I'm asking, and if not I can't just sign up for the next job.

But, I can't be wholly pessimistic about this next step thing. It's very exciting, I must say, to think that a year from now, even 8 months from now, I could be standing in front of my own class of students teaching them about Fitzgerald or Milton. Or, maybe I will be sitting at a desk in New York City reading manuscripts and making book deals. Either way, I'm finding that the "next step" is quickly becoming "this step," and I can't help but daydream a little about the oncoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment