Monday, October 18, 2010

Burned Out

I've had it. I can't work, I can't move, I can barely even keep my eyes open. This week has ruined y resolve scholastic, athletic and otherwise. It hadn't been so bad up until Wednesday. Just the normal: read a book, write a paper, go swimming, go to work, pass out at the end of the day. But, with break quickly approaching, everything intensified. Professors and coaches must be under the impression that "we need to et a lot of work done now because there are TWO ENTIRE DAYS that these kids will have off with nothing to do." And so, the worst week of the semester, so far, began.
I'll just comment on one of my days to give an idea. Wednesday, already a busy day for me, was the longest day I've had in recent memory. It began at 6:30AM. To put that into perspective for the non-college student, it's like waking up at 4AM for any normal person. So waking up 5 hours after having gone to bed, I head to swim practice, and no, a morning swim is not revitalizing it's exhausting. AFter breakfast, I've attached my coffee IV and have headed off to work at the Writing Center, tutoring for an hour and attempting to complete some homework. Walking, zombie-like, to the cafe, I stop for a quick lunch (hoping it will wake me up, but not succeeding in such hopes) before my 3 hour English senior seminar. This may have been the most painful. Three hours of attempting to follow and contribute to discussion while trying to hide the fact that my head is drooping in sleep and my "eye-blinks" are getting longer and longer. But it finally ended, in time for me to sprint over the the pool for 2 hours of afternoon practice (again not revitalizing). This ending, dinner eaten, I go back to the WRiting Center fro another two hours of tutoring session. Now it's 10:30PM (16 hours into the day) and I can finally go home and...start writing that Philosophy Paper due Thursday. Half delirious and 4 coffees into the day I'm simply hoping I'm making complete sentences. 5 pages of philosophy written, it's time to move on to the reading due the next day. Finally finishing at 2:30AM I fall asleep almost instantly, before I do it all again the next day. "The best days of our life" it's said; after a 20 hour work day I've got an argument to say there is reserved a place for some of the hardest days of your life in these 4 years. Now I stumble to the finish line--fall pause--two days not to catch up on rest, but the work that doesn't fit into the 24 hours we are allotted daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment