Monday, October 18, 2010

Addiction

This bonus post brought to you by Philosophy 112 and Kant's super-boring moral theory. With all of the work I've had this week, I've needed to step away from my severe addiction. No, not coffee, that's moved beyond addiction to, I think, an actual biological component of my blood. If you'll recall, I recently discovered the glories of streaming television on my computer. Only working 8-10 hours a day and not knowing many people where I was living this summer left me ample time to fall into worlds of serial killers and ad-men, among others. This infatuation grew into a serious amount of time a week (especially with new series starting up). But with all the work, practice, writing, reading, and studying I've fallen behind--my entertainment well parched. I do plan on making up significant grounds this weekend, but I've recently been confronted with the fact that such a time commitment in my life doesn't contribute to anything. So, to remedy this, I'm taking the Good Ole' American route an taking addiction and turning it into workaholism, that's fine, right? At least in an attempt to share my addiction, I thought I would include some recommendations and share the entertainment wealth.
1. Friday Night Lights. I've true Southern friends to thank for this find. It's not a show that is "real" or a show of "reality." Instead it is simply a story of life itself, small town relationships, family dynamics, and personal conflicts and goals that make you invested in the characters' lives.
2. Mad Men. The wondrous (and troubling) age of the 1960's advertising world. The plot follows the mysterious Don Draper (who is he, really?) and his mood swinging ups and downs. The viewer is taken through a whirlwind of brilliant ideas, too much drinking, and identity crises that question the line between who we really are and who we are portraying ourselves to be. This is a psychological study of a man trying to hold the radioactive parts of his life together and take control...the only question is, will he succeed?
3. Arrested Development. For some unknown reason, not on the air anymore, but should none the less be watched. Unbelievably cancelled after 3 seasons, Arrested Development has too many jokes to laugh at. It follows a family that is beyond dysfunctional, who bring elevated comedy in direct contact with the absurd. From chicken dances (that look nothing like a chicken mind you), to social satire, to a lawyer named Bob Loblaw this show has something to laugh at for everyone.
4. 30 Rock. Smart comedy at it's best, Tina Fey has the entertainment industry in a satire headlock. Following the SNL-like TGS inner-workings, we watch as Tina Fey orchestrates comedy that A-listers can't get enough of (Matt Damon and Queen Latifah as two of the latest guest appearances). And let's not forget Alec Baldwin, who's forced whisper commands the stage, as an NBC exec. who we've recently discovered attended Harvard Business School where he was voted "Most." I can't help but laugh out loud at this show that should be inducted immediately into the comedic Hall of Fame (with reruns forever).

Just a small gateway into the drug that is television. Perhaps, more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment