Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rome Wasn't Built In A Day...

But was it destroyed in one? It's been bound to happen since I started writing this blog--the ever looming failure and end of something great. Life is full of conflict and disappointment, and if I've learned anything this past week it's that you can't plan for a minute of it. In a mere week my life has done a 180, and everything's changed. Let's begin with last Friday when I begin writing my first paper of the many I have due at the end of the semester. I start writing a research paper for an English class I was taking, which usually isn't so bad. But, I didn't have a thesis, or really a topic for that matter, and the best advice I'm given to fix this is to start writing anyway. So now I'm writing a paper without knowing what it's about. Moving through the weekend where I somehow put together this English paper, now its right on to a religion final. This carries us through until Tuesday, when my heart's broken. Feeling alone, I trudge onward to Wednesday and Thursday where I still have three more papers to complete. In the midst of this, I'm realizing that most of the friends I have on campus are saying goodbye to me for the last time, quite possibly, ever.

So in one week, I have lost one relationship, written 40 pages of academic writing, and said goodbye to countless friendships. So maybe it took a week for Rome to crumble. What's left but to look onward and upward, as it's said. I have nothing left but to look to the promises in the summer and to leave the end of the semester to melt into a nostalgic memory, where I remember that I managed to write an incredible amount of work in a short time, where I became closer with the friends I still have, where I was given a chance to focus on my own goals. And with the beautiful weather (finally) here, I can look to the summer where I will have not one, but two internships. I will be spending it in New Haven and New York City. I will be working with one of the top literary agencies in the country and one of the top colleges in the country. Now if that's not a new, strong foundation I don't know what is. A successful city cannot survive if it does not stand against raging winds and terrible storms. My Rome may have been wrecked in a week, but let's see if I can't rebuild. And so begins a moment of reconstruction within my life; repairing the storm damage while enjoying the new and bright day.

No comments:

Post a Comment