Sunday, April 18, 2010

How Do You Say...

Two words is not enough. It's not enough to explain what I need to say, what I feel. Two words only take a second to say. Its not fair that it should only take a second to recompense years. Years of support, of help, of sacrifice. You held me when I cried and woke you in the middle of the night. You picked me up and cleaned out my skinned knee when I screamed. You kept a patient smile on your face while I missed catching hundreds of baseballs, followed by a "sorry," and your "it's ok." You've sat through hours of questions about great and small. You've guided me, taught me, and been an example to me. You've stayed, never leaving my side, in my irresponsibility and my insolence. In my frustration and my anger, you've comforted. And in the newest chapter of your tireless support, as I falter in my stare down with failure, you stand up and stare it down. Not only that, you teach me how to do the same, inspire me to reach for new ideas, new plans--I'm not staring down failure, I can't even see it any more. You come with words that uplift and embraces that fortify. How can I diminish this down to a simple two words? Maybe it will fit in three.

No comments:

Post a Comment