Monday, March 22, 2010

Rockstar

Well this past week was spring break and instead of doing the normal go home and sleep for 7 days, I decided to put a little spin on it and follow up on some intern leads. So Monday was Washington DC. I went down to NPR (National Public Radio) and got a tour of the whole place; though a new addition has been added it is still relatively small for such a large organization with so many employees. I look forward to seeing their new building in a few years. It's a fantastic place with quite friendly people who are very willing to offer any information or help they can give you. Overall, I was really impressed with the experience. Being able to hang out in the nation's capital wasn't all that bad either. From there, Tuesday brought on New York City. The Big Apple, the home of the American Dream. I actually spent most of the day walking the streets, but in between these marathons, I had a some pretty important chats with a literary agency. If all things go well, I'll "hear back from them by the end of the month"--worst part of applying. Finally, I ended up in Baltimore on Wednesday just to take a little break from it all and spend the afternoon with my dad--great day.

After seeing three cities in such short succession, it's amazing to see how individual a "vibe" you can get from a certain city. DC give me a feeling of business, but it still clings to its older roots. As far as major cities go, it also has more of a southern aristocratic tinge than most. It seems to be presenting America, as a neatly wrapped (though confusingly planned) city that welcomes the average street walker. New York is more in your face. It's an explosion of culture, music, art, business, fashion, food--all at once. It's fast paced and fun. And Baltimore, well that will always feel a little like home to me; the one and only Charm City. The Inner Harbor is the place to be on a spring-warmed day with a little ocean breeze in the air. You have fun just wandering on the brick walkways without really even knowing why.

Aside from my personal musings of city "auras," the week was pretty great. Traveling to major cities, investigating new job opportunities, and have a good time along the way. All I need now is to be wildly successful (hopefully by the end of this month*) and I'll be a true rockstar.


No comments:

Post a Comment