Monday, March 1, 2010

Following the Leader...

the leader, the leader. We're following the leader wherever he may go. Problem is I seem to have found myself to be the leader.

A few months ago, I was speaking with a friend of mine and was voicing my need for a spiritual community among people my own age. After talking over what should be done, we came to the conclusion that the group would need to be created instead of found. And so, the long process of creating a group went into effect. After much planning we finally decided that it was time to see if there was anybody else who felt the same way (maybe we should've checked that sooner). Anyway, there was a lunch we promoted to anyone out of high school and under 30 to come and talk about the spiritual needs they were feeling. The problem now was, what if no one shows. Just me and the pastor sitting in a room surrounded by boxes of pizza. All this planning and praying, and no one else felt inspired to be a part of it. In reality, the expectation was that maybe five or six would show up and we could talk and get to know each other. It's nearing the fateful hour when we will find out how many people will actually bother to show up, I walk into the room and lo and behold 20 people are sitting in the room. I'm thinking to myself, I just walked in on a meeting, but oddly they were all quite young looking. I was in the right place, and I was sitting among a group of my peers--college students, young couples, young families, and people beginning careers.

Great surprise, but I didn't really plan anything for this. Now I'm stumbling my way through trying to understand what people want to get out of a group like this. Even more amazing than people showing up, they wanted to talk about their lives and share their need for support and help in their spirituality. Shock and awe. So now, I'm at the front of 20 people all from different walks of life, and I'm trying to figure out a way to make them all grow spiritually. Then it occurred to me, I'm not really doing anything. God himself has controlled the entire process, I'm simply carrying out God's plan. I am in just the same position as the people I was in front of; we are going to travel together in pursuit, searching for what God has laid before us. So the problem is not that I have found myself in the leadership position, but that I thought I was ever there to begin with. So carry on, my leader, for we will follow you wherever you may go.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how God orchestrates these things...Nate and I were feeling the same way (we just moved to Carlisle in October). We were so happy when we saw there was going to be a meeting about starting a college/career class. Our God is great! ~ Janele

    ReplyDelete