Sunday, May 8, 2011

Paper, What Paper?

I have five days of undergraduate work left as I write this post. One exam to take on Monday and one paper to turn in on Thursday (encouraged to be turned in earlier, but let's be honest that's never gonna happen). I take this time to write a post now because one: I'm not worried about the exam, two: I need to think about something other than this paper, and three: This is a great means of procrastination and there's no use in trying to change my study habits so late in the game. So in an effort to free my mind, momentarily, of the huge amount of work I have in the next few days, I'm writing about the huge amount of work I have in the next few days. Sure it seems counter-intuitive, and definitely counter-productive, but I think most people do this. From what I gather a lot of people like to talk about their work instead of doing it; it seems to be a stress reliever of some kind. I'd say I'm a pretty knowledgable source on the matter considering I live on a college campus, and everyone knows college students are both terrible workers and great complainers. And, for the most part we're pretty chilled out. At least that's what all those old folks say about us young whippersnappers. "Take advantage, don't know the value of a dollar, college isn't real life, blah, blah, blah." So, they might be right. But I wasn't so worried about all that. This method had carried me through so many years of school it was bound to work during my college years too. And so it did, but I'm beginning to get a little skeptical. Perhaps this method carried me through all my college years, minus one paper. And it is this fateful paper that I have left to complete before I walk across that stage and accept my $200,000 piece of paper. So basically I've got 200 grand riding on this assignment, and still I'm not really that moved to do work. There's got to be something wrong with that, right? I'm sure there is, but I can't seem to form a coherent thought about the idea. Come to think of it, my brain has not really been firing on all cylinders this week. Not the greatest news when I've got a deadline careening towards me at the speed of light (give or take a mph or two). So, I guess I'll just do what I always do. Let the adrenaline set in, hope for one more stroke of brilliance, try not to have too many typos, and pray to God that my frantic typing makes some sense. Until then, you can find me surfing the web or playing brick breaker 'cause, you know, college isn't real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment