Friday, January 15, 2010

When It Rains, It Pours

Well it's been quite awhile since I've posted anything. Quite a bit has happened in the last month; I'm afraid this will be more of a recap, but I'll try to keep it interesting. Most of December and January I spend on break from school, which should be pretty great, actually it should be really great. Five weeks of doing nothing but sleeping, hanging out with friends, and well pretty much doing whatever I feel like. But break didn't really work out the way I had planned it to. I guess it really started the few weeks before break even began.

My computer was intermittently working near the end of the semester, and the week before finals were due it completely shut down on me. I would find out later that the motherboard had crashed (actually this was the second time in three years, but HP decided to take away the recall that was out a mere three months before the problem occurred). So I was without a computer for a little longer than a month. As you can imagine, this didn't go over well when looking at my bank account. But, I was hopeful, I have a great winter job selling Christmas trees which brings in a good amount and I could get a new computer. But the 20 inches of snow that came the weekend I was going to start work put me out of a job. So now I'm without job and down a computer when what should happen but in the same week my family discovers it has problems with not one, or even two, but all three of the cars we have. Yeah, that one hurt. But, I thought at least I can get away from some of the worry when I go on my swim training trip in Florida; warm, sunny beaches, sparkling outdoor pool (Olympic length), volleyball tournaments. We land in Florida a few days after the New Year in an invigorating (or rather demoralizing) 44 degrees. We were practicing in an outdoor pool in the 40's. Then I come back to PA and need to go to school a week before classes to continue training.

So there it is. The break, the "vacation" I get from all the stress of school; not quite what I was hoping for. But for all the bad, I still enjoyed the break. My computer broke, but due to a student discount I was able to get a much better and more reliable one. I lost out on a great job opportunity, but I was able to spend another week with my family instead of living an hour away. Christmas was actually fantastic, couldn't have asked for it to be better. Florida was cold, really cold, but its way better than spending all of training in lonely Carlisle. And yes, I'm back at school early with no one on campus except the team, but the team will grow closer because of it. Not a bad way to start of the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment