Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It's Very Refreshing

Yes, even more refreshing than those junior mints your snacking on; it's vacation. This weekend was Dickinson's fall pause--not break. It's far too short to be a break, and I give credit to my school to at least recognize that fact. Yet somehow it doesn't make up for the fact that we still don't get off any national holidays except for Thanksgiving. But, my, what a fall pause it was. Talk about relaxation, I did just about nothing when it came to productivity. I got home on Friday in time to sing the national anthem with my high school's alumni choir for homecoming, but after those brief minutes of old esprit de corps, I went home and stayed home until Tuesday when I left for school.

Don't get me wrong, this was pretty much the greatest four days I have had all semester. Let me try to fall more into the lazy college kid stereotype--the only reason I got out of bed in the morning on Monday was for a doctor's appointment. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how my pause went. So, in any event, I feel quite well rested and ready to tackle the rest of the semester with new found fervor--right? Well, not quite. It's pretty incredible how quickly I can fall into the swing of things, when the swing of things is doing nothing. I was ready to spend another couple weeks just hanging out with the family. The break, excuse me--pause, was great, but man can it be dangerous. I guarantee if I had any more work than some reading to do it would have been put off.

So maybe, as much as I hate to admit it, Dickinson isn't so wrong in giving us a pause. If we got a full blown break who knows how long it would take to get used to actually working again. The rest is fantastic, but let the pause be just that. Don't get trapped in the habit of leisure, let it be a respite for the work you have. The way I see it, if I had had two or three days more break I would be writing about how bored I was instead of how short, but relaxing, this pause was.

1 comment:

  1. Tyler,
    I just learned of your blog. It was a great one. I might just get to know what you are
    really doing if you can keep this up. You are
    sure a wonderful young man and we are so proud
    to say you are our grandson. Hope you keep up
    the good work. We LOVE YOU Mom-Mom & Pop-Pop

    ReplyDelete